Atta Ka Halwa, Indian Dessert
Main Ingredient: Atta
Meal: Atta Ka Halwa
Total time: 30minutes
• 1 ½ cups water
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 tbsp golden raisins
• 1/2 cup ghee/unsalted butter
• 3/4 cup atta whole wheat flour
• 6-8 almonds (roughly chopped)
• 1/2 tsp fine cardamom powder
• Ground pistachio (for garnish)
Yield: 2 Cups
1. In a medium-sized pot add water, sugar, and raisins. Bring the mixture to a boil & gently simmer while prepping the remaining ingredients.
2. In a separate heavy bottom of 4-quart pan, heat ghee or butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add flour & mix well. Cook for 10 minutes, mixing occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking.
3. Add almonds & cardamom, mix well.
4. Keep cooking & mixing for another 2 minutes until the mixture becomes very aromatic. It will also start to pull away slightly from the sides of your pan.
5. Turn the heat to high & with the lid of the pan carefully pour your water mixture into the pot with the butter & flour mixture.
Everything will initially steam & splash up, so be ready to cover it with a lid. As it calms down, keep mixing it well.
6. Cook for another 5 minutes until your flour mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
7. Turn the heat off, put the lid on the pan and let your halwa sit for 5-10minutes.
8. Garnish with ground pistachio.
9. Eat warm as a dessert.