Greek Breakfast, Kayianas
Main Ingredient: Eggs, Kalamata & Tomatoes
Meal: Kayianas- Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Olives
Total time: 14 minutes
•Prep, 2 minutes
•Cooking, 12 minutes
• 2 tbsp extra virgin Greek olive oil
• 4 plum ripe tomatoes (peeled, cored & chopped)
• 1/2 cup pitted chopped kalamata olives
• 1 garlic clove finely chopped (optional)
• 4 eggs
• 1/3 cup crumbled greek feta
• 2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint or oregano
• Parsley for garnish
• 1/4 cup grated greek kefalotyri cheese
• Salt & pepper to taste
Yield: 2 servings of kayianas
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add tomatoes, garlic and olives.
3. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon until most of the tomato juice have evaporated.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, mint or oregano and cheese.
5. Pour egg mixture into skillet and cook. Stir with a wooden spoon for 3-5 minutes, or to desired doneness.
6. Serve warm, garnished with parsley and seasoned with salt & pepper.