Homemade Lentil Bread- Sandwich
Main Ingredient: Atta Whole Wheat Flour
Meal: Lentil Whole Wheat Bread Sandwich
Total time: 3 Hours 18 minutes
• 1/4 cup dry red/pink/orange lentils
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 2 tsp active yeast
• 1 tbsp raw sugar
• 1 cup bread flour
• 1 cup Atta whole wheat flour
• 1 tbsp wheat gluten(optional)
• 3/4 tsp salt
• A generous pinch of cumin powder
• 1/2 tsp onion flakes
• 1 tbsp oil(optional)
• 8 tsp low-fat mayonnaise
• 1/2 avocado (sliced)
• 8 tomato (sliced)
• 4 leaves green leaf romaine lettuce
• 1/2 small cucumber, cut into 8 slices
• For a savory herbed loaf, add herbs, spices & nutritional yeast.
Yield: one large loaf & eight sandwiches.
For the Lentils & Dough:
1. Wash and drain the lentils. Cook in a covered pan on low-medium heat until tender for 12-15minutes or use 1/2 cup cooked red/pink lentils.
2. Ina large bowl, add warm water, yeast, and sugar. Mix and let sit until frothy for 10 minutes.
3. In another bowl, mix the bread flour, Atta whole wheat flour, gluten, salt, herbs & spices.
4. Add to yeast mixture. Add oil, cooked lentils. And water. Knead into a soft dough for 6-8minutes.
5. Use more flour or water if needed.
6. Sorry a little bit of water on top of the dough, cover the bowl with a towel, and let sit for 1.5-2hours or until doubled.
7. Punch the dough down and knead for a minute. Use 1-2tbsp whole wheat flour to help reduce stickiness.
8. Shape into a loaf and place in greased or parchment lined bread pan.
9. Spray water on top, sprinkle oats or sesame seeds or wheat flour. Cover with a towel and let to rise for 40 minutes.
10. Bake at preheated 375°F for 40-45minutes until a tap on the top sounds hollow.
11. Cool completely before slicing.
For the Sandwich:
1. Spread half the mayonnaise on 2 or more bread slices.
2. Layer with the avocado, 2 tomato slices, and lettuce leaf.
3. Spread two bread slices or more with the remaining mayonnaise.
4. Place mayonnaise side up on the sandwiches.
5. Layer with the cucumber, remaining tomato slices and lettuce.
6. Season with ground black pepper as desired.