Basmati Rice Dinner or Side Dish
Main Ingredient: Royal Basmati Rice.
Total Time: 60 minutes.
• Prep, 15minutes
• Cooking, 45minutes
• 2 cups royal basmati rice
• 1 tbsp neutral flavored oil(optional)
• 1 onion thinly sliced
• 1 tsp tumeric
• 1 pinch cinnamon
• 1 pinch ground cumin
• 1 can chickpeas(15 ounces) rinsed & drained
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 1/2 cup dates(pits removed) chopped
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Mediterranean cucumber and tomato salad (for garnish)
Yield: 4 servings of Royal Basmati Rice.
How to cook Basmati Rice:
1. Pour the rice into a medium-sized pot.
2. Fill up the pot halfway and rinse the water. Discard the water.
3. Repeat this step 2-3times. Rinse until the water becomes clear. Again, discard the water.
4. Add the 4 cups of water, vegetable oil and salt.
5. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat.
6. Allow the water to continue to boil until it has been absorbed by the rice(roughly 5 minutes).
7. Turn the heat down to low and cover the rice.
8. Cook for 30-40minutes.
How to Mix in the cooked Basmati Rice:
1. Heat the olive oil(if using) or 2 tbsp of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft.
2. Add the tumeric, cinnamon, cumin, raisins, dates and garbanzo beans, and stir until well combined & heated through.
3. Finally, add the cooked rice to the skillet & carefully fold in.
4. Taste, add salt & pepper if desired.
5. Dice up cucumber and fresh tomato as side garnish.